The quantity and quality of data science education resources just took a step forward with the announcement of the new Johns Hopkins University Data Science Specialization series on the Coursera platform. The series consists of 9 free courses. The first course starts in April 2014. If you want a formal certificate there is a $49 fee for each course passed). Each course runs one month.
The courses are taught by well-known MOOC instructors - biostatistics professors Roger Peng, Jeff Leek, and Brian Caffo, all of Johns Hopkins. Roger and Jeff also run the Simply Statistics blog. Here’s a complete list of all the courses:
- The Data Scientist’s Toolbox – Get yourself set up.
- R programming – Learn to code.
- Getting and Cleaning Data – You need data. Get some.
- Exploratory Data Analysis – What’s that in my data?
- Reproducible Research – Did you do what you think you did?
- Statistical Inference – You don’t have infinite money. Try sampling.
- Regression Models – The duct tape of data science.
- Practical Machine Learning – Predict the future with data. Easy.
- Developing Data Products – There better be an app for that data.
The timing for the launch of this new program is excellent as more and more people are looking to retool themselves in order to take part of the big data revolution. I personally beta tested the first 3 courses on the list and I think they’ll make an excellent addition to your resume. Highly recommended. You can get started HERE.
Sign up for the free insideBIGDATA newsletter.